Monday, April 5, 2010

Hot Cross Buns (sort of)

Saturday April 3, 2010, Easter Saturday

If I’m in Australia for Easter I would normally be eating Hot Cross Buns. Out of the last 8 years I’ve only been in Oz for one Easter, so that’s a lot of buns I’ve been missing out on eating! In 2007 I made HCBs for Easter, but it turned out not to be very fun as this is the hottest time of year, so the whole kneading and baking thing becomes less of a novelty.

But this year Good Friday was so humid and hot, then during the night it started raining, so Saturday turned out to be a good day for baking! Also I have just bought some wholewheat flour for the first time since I’ve been in Cambodia, so I’ve been day dreaming about cooking bready things, plus Rachael just blogged about her recent baking- and it smelt so nice I felt like doing it too.

On our kitchen wall I have this recipe I photocopied from a flatmate’s cook book years ago. I had to use a conversion table and a calculator as it uses oz rather than cup measurements.

I glanced at the list and saw it was only for 1 cup of flour, so decided to double everything and make twice as much. I began, but got a surprise when I finally got to getting out the flour. It didn’t actually say 1 cup, it said 1 lb (I think that means pound?) So that meant I ended up using over SIX CUPS of flour!

As I was converting and doubling it was getting pretty confusing, so I wrote down the new amounts on the left top of the paper. I just noticed that on the top right, in my hand writing is the conversions for the original amount. And in the bottom left I have the conversions for half measurements (including half and egg?!!). I guess I’ve used this recipe before and each time work it out as I go.




Here is the recipe for the original amount:

30g /1oz yeast (about 7g instant yeast)
90 g/ 3oz sugar (about 1/3 cup)
300ml warm milk
500g/ just over 3 cups flour- I used some white, some wholewheat
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (I think I put about twice that in)
½ teaspoon of mixed spice (I didn’t have any)
60g/ 2oz/1/4 cup melted butter (I used Crisco ¼ cup, plus 1.5 teaspoons water
1 egg
they said to use 60g of sultanas and the same of currants, plus 30 g of mixed peel, but I didn’t have any




Mix flour, instant yeast, spices, salt. Add in beaten egg, melted butter, warm milk and sugar.

(If I was using non- instant yeast the first step would have been to cream the yeast with 1 teaspoon of the sugar add ½ cup warm milk, mix well and set aside.)

Mix in the fruit and knead until no longer sticky. I ended up having to add more flour at this stage as it stayed sticky for ages and ages, and I think I didn’t add enough flour at first- the whole maths of working out the conversions was tricky.

Cover and prove in a warm place. As it was a cool day I put the bowl of mixture in a big basin of hot water and put a towel over the top.

It didn’t say how long to leave it, but I had a look in other books and they said to wait for 30-60 min or until the stuff doubles in size.

Shape into 12 buns and place close together in a greased baking pan (they said 1”- 2”deep, I used the baking tray thingy that came with our oven, and cos I was doing double I ended up using a loaf tin as well).

Cover and allow to rise until very light.

They also gave instructions for doing a cross on each one, and a glaze , but I didn’t do that, but I’ll tell you what they said: For crosses, pipe on a mixture of 2 rounded teaspoons self raising flour and 2 tablespoons cold water.

Bake at 400F/200C for 15-20 min.
Brush with glaze while still hot.




Glaze: 1 teaspoon gelatine , 150 ml water
4 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon mixed spice

Dissolve gelatine in water. Place in saucepan with other ingredients and boil 10 min. Cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment